BlockWorld v1.1 Availible, and a Changelog
The highly anticipated v1.1 update for BlockWorld will be live in a few hours! (Or will be available for download within a few hours). This post provides a change log with all of the major improvements to BlockWorld that you will be enjoying in this v1.1 release!
This update focuses on two improvements.
Multiplayer Gameplay Quality of Experience
Multiplayer games are hosted by a single player, with their Xbox becoming a Server for other players. The host gets cool powers such as the ability to boot people, and also lock out items. Bombs and dynamite are good candidates for locking out, due to their greifing potential.
The quality of BlockWorld has been substantially improved. Code4 errors caused by world loading no longer occur, the lighting model has changed to smooth lighting for that HD feel, and the physics system is far more stable, meaning no more intersections or glitches.
Players can search for games, or be explicitly invited by friends into games. These multiplayer worlds are separate from your single player worlds, as we have stated in the past. This gives everyone a total of 10 worlds they can have, per account on the Xbox. If you begin using memory cards, you can have even more.
If you have been waiting for a time to get BlockWorld, this is it. Multiplayer with combat and creative modes has been added, crashes removed and performance and stability has been greatly improved. This addictive and full featured game, is available for the low price of 240ms points!
V 1.1 Change log [BlockWorld]
- Fixed: Null reference exception in Torch update (Crash)
- Fixed: Entity Removal issues (Crash)
- Fixed: World Object removal issues (Crash) Fixed: Severe memory leak caused by playing multiple worlds in a single gameplay session. Effected more dedicated players enjoying the game for lengthy periods (Crash)
- Updated: Torches no longer use models for rendering, due to performance cost.
- Updated: Save file format to more reliable “split” version
- Updated: Save files are now smaller
- Updated: Increased plant and mineral seam count
- Updated: Saving of regions more aggressive. More items attempt to save in a wider area more frequently
- Updated: Plants are now destroyed in one hit
- Updated: Torches are now destroyed in one hit
- Updated: Music slider is now linear
- Updated: Save system compression and storage techniques to reduce code quantity and increase compression ratio.
- Updated: Damage dealt by all tools, and health of all blocks. New damage management system.
- Updated: MOTD and title messages
- Updated: Loading screen messages
- Updated: Culling sytem is more aggressive and accurate without losing any graphical quality.
- Updated: Save system is far more compressed and efficient allowing for faster world streaming, and faster world joining and availibility in multiplayer sessions.
- Updated: Boxart to include avatars.
- Fixed: False light sources removed
- Fixed: Music no longer shuts off after a single single song
- Fixed: Water now refracts transparent vertices (E.g. Glass, leaves)
- Fixed: Water now refracts objects (E.g. Beach ball)
- Fixed: Re-darkening process clears all lighting successfully
- Fixed: Save files are no longer randomly lost
- Fixed: Missing regions and items on world load
- Fixed: Screen layouts for better readability
- Fixed: Paintings and signs take lighting correctly
- Fixed: T-Junction artefacts in dark areas now greatly reduced (Speckle sparkles)
- Fixed: Sugar cane texture was missing
- Fixed: Tree death speed increased
- Fixed: Smelter particle emission increased,+ puffs on smelt
- Fixed: Double photo taking in single player
- Fixed: Save speed increased.
- Fixed: Culling system was disabled in v1.0 causing performance degradation.
- Fixed: Picking is now sorted improving interaction with world
- Fixed: Player no longer “sticks” to sea floor
- Fixed: Crooked AO generation on block vertices
- Fixed: Sign post no longer re-opens edit screen
- Fixed: Improved picking range
- Fixed: Camera no longer makes sound when painting generation fails
- Fixed: Doors kill grass beneath them
- Fixed: “Trapped under world” bug. Player is respawned
- Fixed: Block simulation moved to async thread
- Fixed: Damage cracks removed for damaged blocks removed via explosions.
- Fixed: AI Systems moved to async thread
- Fixed: World object logic moved to background thread
- Fixed: Quit world times drastically reduced.
- Fixed: Creative inventory interaction, was causing overwrites of stacks
- Fixed: Vibration no longer becomes “jammed on” in menus
- Fixed: Menu highlights and hint placement in options windows
- Fixed: Double deaths no longer occur when hit with height damage (player)
- Fixed: Head bob removed in fly cam
- Fixed: Tree de-synchronisation across multiple play sessions
- Fixed: Back buttons in game replaced with Back (B) prompt to make better use of space
- Fixed: Nearplane clipping distance was causing terrain cut, resulting in players seeing “Through” the entire world .
- Fixed: Zero gravity glitch fixed.
- Fixed: Rake destroys leaves again
- Fixed: Spinning, floating creatures glitch fixed
- Fixed: Garbage generation and performance hitches.
- Fixed: Camera bob is more natural
- Fixed: Massive engine optimisations increase HD view distance from 3 to 6, and SD view distance increased from 4 to 7
- Fixed: Picking distance of block placement/dig
- Fixed: Depth culling on hint lines restored
- Fixed: Black screen issue, rarely causing players to be dumped to a black screen
- Added: Combat game mode. Attack each other in your custom created worlds
- Added: Anti-grieving locks to inventory, easily set by host
- Added: Smoothed lighting
- Added: Sprint ability
- Added: New swimming system, “Iron boot” feel is replaced with proper “Swim” feel.
- Added: Radial blur and “Roady Run” Feel to sprint
- Added: Avatars with full in hand rendering and custom animation pipeline
- Added: Taunt ability, accessible via dpad and viewable by opponents in MP games.
- Added: Arrow magnetism to assist player in collecting dropped arrows
- Added: New plant and growth system for future farming update
- Added: MKII Middle earth generator. More interesting terrain on new worlds
- Added: MKI Middle earth generator is used on older world.
- Added: Instant block placements, removing latency while building
- Added: New picking system. More accurate block selection
- Added: Support for selecting “Through” non-cube blocks. E.g. Door, Stairs
- Added: Deep level converted to gather and convert all save files from v1.0 and convert them into the new format.
- Added: Rotations and tilt randomness to all plants
- Added: Improved water physics and buoyancy
- Added: Air bar when the player is under water (Combat Mode)
- Added: Player controller animation system.
- Added: Torches may be place on top of blocks
- Added: Torches may be placed under blocks
- Added: Save file cleaning code. Broken items leaving “unplacable” block areas are now restored to a placeable state. This includes “Dead” Smelters, chests etc…
- Added: Networking game hosting and joining support.
- Added: New rendering system to eliminate subtle “Jitter” from player view
- Added: New region storage system to increase explorable range to over 9,000,000 blocks from starting location in NSE or W. NOTE: This can be exceeded, but is not recommended due to hardware limitations
- Added: Sharing of worlds between Xbox Live and LAN gameplay. Enjoy multiplayer without the need for an Xbox live account, or play online when you do have Xbox live gold.
- Added: Flames emit from the heads of 2.0 Studios staff when in multiplayer games
- Added: Vsync options
- Added: Crash screen, in the case of the unthinkable, a crash screen with debug information is show prompting users to send a photo via smartphone. This allows us to track and patch rare bugs.
This change log summarizes the fixes and additions. Ultra small things like the alignment of text on creative windows is not included for brevity.
It is highly recommended that you load older worlds to convert them to the new save file format before any future updates are released. We do our best to maintain save compatibility between sequential updates, but do not promise full compatibility should players miss or skip updates.
It is highly recommended that players begin new worlds to take full advantage of the new, and more interesting terrain generators.
What can I expect next in v1.2?
Quite a few more content related things actually. Such as fences, block permutations (Hundreds more block types), gates, combat score system, more weapons, 25 new dyes and fences. This will be availible shortly after we can have a few games with BlockWorld fans, to get a feel for Multiplayer.
If you wish to play some BlockWorld with us, post a gamer tag. We don’t play much Xbox live these days, but we’d love to have some games with the community on weekends!
Thankyou for reading, and we hope to see you online soon!